Wanted: Intervention Ideas!

Hey y'all! After 8 red behavior notes today this teacher is ready for a visit with Marge and Rita. Before I head out for Mexican, I need your help! I am leading a session for first and second year teachers soon and I am trying to compile classroom-tested intervention ideas! How do you help your most struggling students? What are some must-have intervention resources? I'll give away my newest unit to one lucky contributor! So, let's hear those fabulous intervention ideas! :


I'll start by sharing how I taught one of my little scholars the number 6. This little fella began kindergarten extremely behind. While he has made great gains (he can hold a pencil now and listen attentively to a story!) he is still working on learning numbers. We have mastered numbers one through 5 so yesterday during my planning time (intervention time doesn't exist at our school) we worked on number 6. Sometimes simple things like paper, index cards, and markers do the trick! 


After showing my sweetie the number six and tracing it using a sandpaper six, I set out these cards. He had to pick up each six and say, "This is number 6." While we were working on identifying the number 6 and not counting quantities of 6, he still struggles with one-to-one correspondence so I threw the quantity cards in too! 

Then we went on a number hunt...first using this paper where he circled all the number 6s and then up and down the hallways. We found number 6 all over our school and he was SO PROUD to show off how smart he was! :) 

Off to Mexican for dinner...I can't wait to read all of your fabulous intervention ideas when I get back! :) 





your photo name

10 comments

  1. I use the stretchy slinky toys to demonstrate stretching out sounds. I also use Phonics in Motion for individual sounds.
    Karen.Strawser@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use slinkies too! I haven't heard of Phonics in Motion...I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Florida Center for Reading Research are researched based intervention activities that are FREE! Here is the link...

    http://www.fcrr.org/curriculum/studentCenterActivities2005.shtm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite math interventions are roll and color games. I like the ones where there are 30 graphics on a page (in rows). Kids roll a die, count the number of dots on die, then color that many graphics (thematic, like shamrocks for St pattys). This gives me lots of ways to reinforce numbers/counting. I have the large "pocket" style of die (learning resources??) so I can slip in whatever cards I want (specific numbers, number words dot patterns, etc) The kids love this game!! Good luck!
    Connie prekteachr@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again- For the last 2 years, my distict uses Michael Heggerty's Phonemic Awareness for Young Children with all students... it is systematic and has a 5 day plan.. all auditory. It has GREATLY impacted my k students ability to blend, segment sounds in reading and writing. The program is 12-15 minutes daily. I just put the motions into the lessons.
    Karen.Strawser@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing I have been using is numbers 1-20 written on milk jug lids. Simple as it sounds, they have been doing great with recognizing and ordering the numbers. I have also been working on them by having them read the decodable books and leveled readers. It helps with both high frequency word recognition and blending. Those two and about a million other things but those are the two I'm seeing have the most impact.
    Lisa
    rlelr@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids love Power Towers...just type it i on Pinterest & see lots of ideas. I've used some Pringles cans, but I've also just programmed set of cups with letters, numbers, blends. We set the cups out (maybe 20) and look for only the ones w/ the number 6, then let the student build a tower with the cups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and my email is chrissybryant74@gmail.com just in case I win:)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top